WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Jun 28, 2012


Pakistan militants threaten revenge
By Ihsanullah Tipu Mehsud

The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) or Pakistan Taliban, which unites the myriad jihadi factions in the country's tribal region, has threatened to launch attacks across the country following the murder of a prominent religious scholar in May. "Our fighters are ready and desperately waiting for their turn to avenge the brutal martyrdom of our sheikh," leading TTP commander, Khalid Haqqani, vowed in a recently released video.

Mualana Shiekh Naseeb, who taught at Darul Uloom Haqqania, one of Pakistan's largest religious seminaries, was abducted last month. His brutally tortured body was recovered days later on the outskirts of Peshawar. The Pakistani Taliban immediately blamed domestic intelligence agencies for his killing.

Last month, Pakistani Taliban mbush near Miranshah, the

 

administrative headquarters of North Waziristan, killed almost two dozen Pakistani soldiers. Orchestrated by the TTP and a Taliban faction led by North Waziristan warlord Hafiz Gul Bahdur, the attack was believed to have been launched in revenge for Khan's murder. "The mujahideen used to seek advice and religious decrees from Khan. He was a source of guidance and was always very helpful," a North Waziristan-based Taliban source told Asia Times Online.

Ustad Ahmad Farooq, al-Qaeda's chief of dawah (preaching of Islam) and media for Pakistan, has also eulogized Khan in a statement, saying his death was a great loss to militant outfits in the region and vowing revenge.

The heightened threats comes amid detiorating security in areas of the Mehsud tribe in South Waziristan, with a rapid increase in violent incidents in recent weeks. Last week, the TTP distributed pamphlets threatening officials from the government, non-governmental organizations and from the Mehsud tribe with dire consequences if they did not leave immediately. "We are warning all people who have been living in Mehsud-inhabited parts of South Waziristan in different capacity to leave as a war is going on over there," The pamphlet reads.

TTP central spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan told ATol that the group has rejected new Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Perviz Ashraf's demand that they drop their weapons and stop challenging the writ of the government. "Our weapons are our ornaments, and we will fight till we kick incompetent people out from Pakistan," Ehsan said.

The Pakistani Taliban have suffered large losses in the wake of successive military offensives across the lawless tribal region. However, analysts believe they still have the capacity to orchestrate major attacks. While the militants have retreated from major cities, in other areas like Orakzai Agency and South Waziristan, they are resisting security forces and consequently both sides are still suffering casualties.

"It is quite obvious that the military has pushed back the militants from the major towns of FATA [the Federally Administered Tribal Areas] and Malakand. Their command and control mechanism has been ruthlessly disrupted but there are training camps, leadership, splinter cells and suicide squads still sitting unscathed across Pakistan", said Nazar-u-Islam, a correspondent for Newsweek Pakistan.

TTP spokesman Ehsan has said that the TTP will continue attacking the Pakistani government and its security forces until the TTP's version of Sharia law is implemented in the country. "We want to free Pakistan from its current slavery. For this purpose we have sacrificed hundred of our mujahideen and will continue to do so," He told ATol.

Referring to a June 21 skirmish between security forces and militants in Laddha, South Waziristan Agency, the TTP spokesman told media outlets that his group had beheaded seven Pakistani security personnel who were kidnapped that day. "The TTP will soon release a video footage of the slain soldiers" he said.

The Pakistan Army declared victory against the TTP in South Waziristan Agency in early 2010 despite ground sources vigorously denying government claims the area had been cleared of TTP-affiliated militants. In recent months, the intensity of attacks, including suicide attacks, on security forces and government installations has drastically declined.

Strained relations between Pakistan and the United States since last November, when US helicopters killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at a border post, are believed to be behind the reduction in TTP attacks. The militants have welcomed Islamabad's closure of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization supply route to Afghanistan and the ordering of US forces out of Shamsi air base in Baluchistan, the latter a long-held demand of the TTP.

During this period, the Taliban has refrained from indiscriminate attacks on security forces and government installations. This recent spate of violence by the TTP suggest the militants are now focused on retaliatory attacks, not the random assaults seen before the Salala border incident.

However, on Sunday an ambush by Taliban on Pakistani security checkposts in the Barawal area of Upper Dir district on Pakistan-Afghanistan border region left at least six security personnel killed and five others missing, according to official sources. In retaliation by security forces, 11 militants were killed.

According to security officials, an intensive search operation is underway to find the missing personnel.

Ehsan claimed responsibility for the attack in a phone interview with ATol, saying, "in the attack security forces suffered heavy causalities. Our fighters also seized a huge number of weapons and ammunition. The mujahideen returned safely to their bases without any loss. The government's figure of militants killed is baseless propaganda."

A local security official told media that dozens of militants attacked the checkposts in Pak-Afghan region at around 6pm. The militants came from across the border in Afghanistan.

The Pakistani government has expressed serious grievances to Afghanistan over the attack, Pakistani media reported. Interior Affairs Minister Abdul Rehman Malik has contacted his Afghan counterpart to submit a complaint over the incident, saying Afghan authorities should prevent militants crossing the border.

Ihsanullah Tipu Mehsud is Islamabad-based freelance investigative journalist.

(Copyright 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)





New premier Ashraf returns to battle with Pakistan power crisis (Jun 25, '12)

Waziri 'oasis' braces for attack
(Jun 19, '12)


1.
Stimulus fix to the death

2. The Israeli endgame in Iran

3. Syria and Turkey's phantom war

4. China's addiction to birth planning

5. Napoleon's march on Russia: Do dictators always fail?

6. 'Highest' building defies China bubble

7. Silver lining in Iran nuclear talks

8. Syria puts double whammy on Turkey

9. Magic and the machine

10. No way home for Myanmar's Rohingya

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Jun 26, 2012)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110