WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese




    South Asia
     Sep 15, 2012


General ducks Afghan scandal evidence
By Gareth Porter

WASHINGTON - Lieutenant General William B Caldwell, the former commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's training mission in Afghanistan, denied to a US Congressional panel that he had cited the impact on congressional elections in opposing the timing of a request for an investigation of high-level Afghan military corruption and its impact on neglect of patients at the Afghan National Military Hospital (NMH) two years ago.

But Caldwell and his former deputy, Brigadier General Gary Patton, both made statements suggesting that Caldwell had indeed wanted to stop the investigation by the Department of Defense Inspector General (DOD IG) because it might give ammunition to opponents of the US mission in Afghanistan.

The hearing on Wednesday, attended by only five members of the House Government Oversight Committee's Subcommittee on

 

National Security, reflected the lack of political interest in Washington in a scandal that might have been expected to generate a major national debate.

Although both Caldwell and Patton were questioned on the allegations that Caldwell had cited US elections in opposing the proposed investigation, there was no effort by committee members to determine what actually happened. Nor did they show any interest in the larger issues posed by the episode.

The scandal involves "Criminal Patronage Networks" - the term used by the US military in Afghanistan itself - extending all the way to Mohammed Qasim Fahim, the former commander of the Northern Alliance, who is the country's vice-president but more importantly leads the tight-knit group of Tajik generals who control the Afghan National Army (ANA).

In the late summer and autumn of 2010, Caldwell's aides gathered evidence that the criminal military network had systematically looted tens of millions of dollars of US medical supplies and other assistance, leaving virtually nothing for patient care at the NMH.

The patients were left to lie in filth and die of untreated wounds and malnutrition, as US military personnel assigned as mentors at the hospital documented during that period.

It was in that context that the inspector-general for Caldwell's command, Colonel Mark Fassl, initiated the request for a DOD IG investigation. In testimony before the subcommittee on July 24, Fassl recalled that Caldwell had been angry about a request for a DOD IG investigation of the national military hospital so close to US Congressional elections.

Fassl testified that he had been reprimanded by Caldwell in two separate meetings on October 29, 2010, for having made the IG request. Fassl recalled that, in the smaller staff meeting, Caldwell had said, "How could we do this or make this request with an election coming?"

Caldwell went on to remark that President Barack Obama "calls me Bill", according to Fassl's testimony, which was supported by Caldwell's judge advocate, Colonel Gerald Carozza.

Caldwell denied in his testimony that he had invoked the election as a reason for delaying an investigation. He admitted that he was very upset, but said it was only because he felt it would harm his strategy for the removal of the corrupt Afghan surgeon general in charge of the hospital, General Ahmad Zia Yaftali.

"We had not yet set conditions with our partners," said Caldwell. "The only reason we were bringing this outside team in was to remove Yaftali. I would need the president [Hamid Karzai] to do it."

Caldwell did acknowledge, however, that he had told his staff on another occasion that, after he had briefed President Obama on the Afghan National Army, the president had "referred to me by my nickname".

Patton's testimony appeared to confirm Fassl's claim that the 2010 congressional elections had been mentioned by both generals in discussing the request for the investigation. Describing an October 29 staff meeting at which Caldwell was not present, "My recollection was that the subject of elections was discussed very briefly and dismissed and had nothing to do with my request."

Patton did not say who brought up the subject of elections at the meeting or why, suggesting that it was Patton himself who had done so. No subcommittee member questioned Patton on the point.

Caldwell also strongly implied that he had indeed been concerned about potential domestic political fallout from such an investigation.

"When you don't do the necessary coordination," he told the panel, "you have second and third order effects. You could have those in the United States who would use it in the wrong way."

Caldwell did not elaborate, and was not asked to clarify the statement.

The committee also failed to question Caldwell and Patton about Fassl's testimony clearly contradicted Caldwell's claim that he had only been concerned with getting buy-in from Minister of Defense Abdul Rahim Wardak and President Karzai.

Fassl testified said that Patton had insisted at the same October 29, 2010, meeting on changing the proposed investigation into an assistance visit, which he suggested would be perceived by the Afghan authorities as less intrusive.

On November 2, 2010, Fassl testified, Caldwell again "screamed" at Fassl and two other officers about their introducing the idea of an IG investigation of US assistance to the medical program. "There is nothing wrong with this command that we can't fix ourselves," Caldwell said, according to Fassl.

Then, after another deputy commander, Canadian Brigadier General David Neasmith, urged Caldwell to allow the DOD IG investigation to proceed, Caldwell approved it, but "strictly as assistance to improve logistics channels for ANA's medical supplies", according to Fassl. It was not to mention "Auschwitz-like conditions at NHM".

The subcommittee did not ask Caldwell and Patton about that testimony.

When IPS asked Patton directly following the hearing if Caldwell had insisted on limiting the IG mission to "logistics issues" and excluding conditions at the hospital, Patton responded, "The IG mission did what it was directed to do."

When the question was repeated, Patton turned and walked away.

Caldwell also sought to claim that he was unaware of the shocking conditions at the NMH when the IG investigation came up. "The first time patient neglect [at NHM] was brought to my attention was November 10, 2010," he declared to the panel.

That claim was questioned, however, by committee members as straining credibility.

Committee Chair Jason Chaffetz pointed out that Caldwell had sent an e-mail to then commander of US forces in Afghanistan David Petraeus on September 25, 2010, saying that military corruption was resulting in "hundreds of ANA [patients] being denied care".

Colonel Schuyler K Geller, then the command surgeon for the training mission and now retired from Army, was one of those gathering the information on the impact of corruption on patient care at NMH. Geller told IPS in an interview that the horrific "Auschwitz-like" conditions were being documented in reports filed almost every day by US military mentors stationed at the hospital beginning in August.

Geller sent those reports through General Neasmith to General Patton, so Caldwell would have been informed of the actual conditions in the hospital, according to Geller.

"But he can say Patton didn't tell me," Geller told IPS.

Caldwell continued to try to keep the conditions at the hospital secret in 2011. A memo dated September 12, 2011, signed by Geller's replacement as command surgeon, prohibited any pictures, videos or audio recordings of conditions in the hospital from being "shared outside this command, transmitted by e-mail, or duplicated in any way without prior approval of the Command Surgeon".

Gareth Porter, an investigative historian and journalist specializing in US national security policy, received the UK-based Gellhorn Prize for journalism for 2011 for articles on the US war in Afghanistan.

(Inter Press Service)





The incredible shrinking withdrawal date
(Nov 25, '10)

Kabul gets its own stimulus package
(Nov 18, '10)


1.
Mr Blowback rising in Benghazi

2. India scores in space

3. Perfect storm over Libya

4. Point of no return in the South China Sea

5. Cambodia helps squeeze WikiLeaks

6. US election sets poser for Taiwan

7. NAM to boost Palestinian cause at UN

8. Turkey does u-turn on trans-Caspian pipeline

9. Tribals blame Haqqani offshoot for blast

10. Ground Zero redux

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Sep 13, 2012)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110