Southeast Asia

Another blow for Yangon
By Nelson Rand

BANGKOK - With its economy in tatters and its human-rights record one of the worst in the world, Myanmar's ruling military junta was slapped with extended sanctions by the European Union (EU) this week - a decision applauded by the country's two largest ethnic minority groups.

Sai Wansai, general secretary of the Shan Democratic Union (SDU), and the European representative of the Karen National Union (KNU), Saw Sarky, have been lobbying the EU to push for harder sanctions and to ensure that the country's ethnic minority groups are involved in any future reconciliation talks in Myanmar.

Germany-based Sai Wansai said he welcomed the EU's decision to extend sanctions on Myanmar, saying the move is "crucial in projecting non-Burman ethnic nationalities' political position" in Myanmar.

EU ministers on Monday decided to extend economic sanctions and its list of Myanmar government officials who are subject to a visa blacklist and asset freezing, as well as to strengthen an arms embargo against the country.

They also confirmed plans for a trip by the so-called EU "troika" to visit Myanmar in the next two to three months if they can meet with the appropriate leadership of the country. They will assess then whether to implement further sanctions or not.

"Sanctions are definitely working," Wansai told the Spanish deputy director general for Asia and Oceania, Jorge Montealegre Buire, this month, "but now we need sanctions with teeth that bite."

Myanmar, formerly know as Burma, has been under EU and US sanctions since 1996 for its poor human-rights record and the military's refusal to honor 1990 national elections in which opposition leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory.

The SDU and KNU - whose military factions have each been waging decades-long insurgencies for autonomy in their ethnic areas - are pushing for trilateral talks in any future reconciliation plan for the country.

Last week in the Netherlands, Wansai and Sarky met with the Dutch Foreign Ministry on the possibility of producing a prototype roadmap for Myanmar's democratization process. Margarita Bot, the Dutch deputy director for Asia and Oceania, suggested "[we] draw up a tentative roadmap for the UN to consider, for without a time frame and roadmap, this could drag on forever".

In political terms, it already has dragged on forever. The Karen have been at war with Yangon since 1949 in one of the longest and least-known unresolved conflicts in the world. The first Shan armed opposition group was formed in 1958 and began fighting shortly after, about the same time the Vietnam War was starting to kick off.

The military junta, known as the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC), has so far ruled out any talks with the armed ethnic factions until they surrender their arms. It has, however, started reconciliation with Aung San Suu Kyi to try and break the country's political deadlock, but there has been no significant progress since these so-called talks began in October 2000 except for the release of Suu Kyi from house arrest and of a few hundred political prisoners.

In one of the most conciliatory statements since the SPDC released Suu Kyi from house arrest last May, the junta hinted on Tuesday that it was willing to start political talks with her. "The government has complete trust in Aung San Suu Kyi's commitment to ensuring the smooth and stable development of Myanmar," the junta said in a statement reported by Reuters new agency.

Even if serious talks did get under way between the junta and Suu Kyi, it seems no deal could be successful without the participation of the ethnic minority groups - especially the armed factions of the Shan and the Karen, which the junta refuses to talk to until they lay down their arms.

"We [ethnic groups of Myanmar] own 57 percent of the landmass in the now-defunct Union of Burma and have a population, by conservative estimates, of 40 percent," said Wansai. "Any political settlement excluding us will never function and we will see to it that no deal could ever be made without us."

In the past month, Wansai and the KNU's European representative and Central Committee member Saw Sarky met with foreign ministry officials from Greece, Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands. Wansai said they were satisfied with the outcome of their trip, and that they were assured the EU would continue to push for tripartite dialogue in which the three issues of military dictatorship, democracy and state rights of the ethnic groups would be discussed between the three parties: the junta, the democratic opposition and the ethnic nationalities.

"The EU is [also] looking into engaging ASEAN [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] countries to get involved by putting pressure on the SPDC," Spain's Montealegre Buire told Wansai. "This will amount to taking away the cushion intended for the junta's fallback position provided by ASEAN [countries]."

The objectives of the sanctions, said Sarky, "are to bring the SPDC to the negotiation table with the non-Burman ethnic nationalities and to promote the so called 'tripartite dialogue'."

"Until then," he added, "the KNU and the non-ceasefire [factions of] ethnic nationalities will intensify our diplomatic offensives, our political internal resistance and our armed struggle, as we feel that the SPDC army is no less than the occupying force of a colonial power."

(©2003 Asia Times Online Co, Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact content@atimes.com for information on our sales and syndication policies.)
 
Apr 18, 2003



'After Baghdad, Yangon'
(Mar 29, '03)

UN's Myanmar envoy calls for probes (Nov 1, '02)

Myanmar sanctions in the dock (Jun 18, '02)

 

Affiliates
Click here to be one)

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright Asia Times Online, 6306 The Center, Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong.