Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Southeast Asia

Indonesia blast: Familiar terror rears its ugly head
By Andreas Harsono

JAKARTA - A day after a powerful car bomb was detonated outside the Australian Embassy here, killing at least nine people, Indonesian police are suggesting that the chief suspects in the blast are men they were already pursuing for past bombings on the resort island of Bali and near Jakarta's JW Marriott Hotel.

Most of the bombers in the two earlier incidents have been arrested, and Indonesian judges have sentenced three of them to death. But master bombers Azahari Husin and Noor Din Mohammad Top, two Malaysian citizens allegedly involved in producing the deadly 2002 Bali bombs that killed 202 people, mostly Australian tourists, and the Marriott Hotel bomb that killed 12 people in August last year, have twice managed narrowly to escape the dragnet set up by police.

On Thursday morning, just an hour before the blast, Indonesia's police chief Da'i Bachtiar was meeting with a parliamentary commission where he was briefing them about his attempts to arrest Azahari and Top, both of whom are allegedly linked to Jemaah Islamiya (JI) - a regional terrorist network that aims to create a pan-Islamic state in Southeast Asia.

Halfway through Bachtiar's briefing, an aide notified him of the explosion. Bachtiar then asked the commission to adjourn the hearing, saying, "My men will take care of that [the bombing], but it just shows us how dangerous it is to have people like them [Azahari and Top] on the run."

After a brief investigation, Bachtiar told reporters late on Thursday, "We could see similarities between this bombing and the car bombs that exploded in Bali and the Marriott." But, he added, "it is still too early to prove that Jemaah Islamiya is behind this bombing, although there is [the] possibly of a suicide bomber here like the others."

On Friday morning, Suyitno Landung, head of the police Criminal Investigation Department, told a local radio station that witnesses had seen a green Daihatsu Zebra car explode right in front of the gates of the embassy.

"It exploded right away, so we have assumed the perpetrator was still in the car," Landung told El Shinta radio. Suicide bombers, allegedly from JI, were also used in the Bali and Marriott Hotel blasts.

Some governments and certain intelligence agencies claim JI is an al-Qaeda-linked terrorist organization and allege that the Islamic grouping's members have trained with al-Qaeda militants in Afghanistan.

"[Islamic] militants who have been arrested recently said that there were three men who were ready to become suicide bombers," Landung said on Friday.

That same day Jemaah Islamiya, in an Internet statement, reportedly claimed responsibility for the deadly attack on the Australian Embassy. The statement describes Australia as "one of the worst enemies of God". It says the bombing was a martyr operation carried out to settle accounts, and warns of more bombing unless Australia withdraws its forces from Iraq. (Australia has about 850 troops in and around Iraq and was the first country, apart from the United States and the United Kingdom, to contribute forces for the invasion of Iraq last year.)

Prime Minister John Howard, however, said he did not know whether the statement was genuine. "I don't know whether that is a genuine message from Jemaah Islamiya or not. Sometimes these website messages turn out to be fraudulent," he said.

According to the latest estimates, at least 173 people were injured in Thursday's bombing, though a spokesman for the Australian Embassy said no one inside its heavily fortified compound was killed or badly injured.

The nine dead - all Indonesians - included policemen, embassy security guards and passers-by. The wounded were mainly people who worked near the embassy and were cut by flying glass and debris.

"It was an enormous bomb. The [great size] of the crater ... the police truck outside has been blown to bits ... it's like the wind has been pushed out of you," embassy media officer Elizabeth O'Neill told Australia's Nine TV Network.

Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman Marty Natalagawa also expressed his shock over the embassy blast when speaking to reporters.

"This is an attack not only against Australian society, Australian government - since the target was obviously the Australian Embassy, it seems - but also an attack on all of us, on decent people and civilized governments, nations," he said.

"This is not about Australia. This is not about Indonesia. This is about all those decent people who just want to get on with their life without having to fear this type of heinous, cowardly act on the part of the terrorists," Natalagawa said.

"We as a government have been extremely dedicated in trying to combat the threat of terror, and yet again we have to suffer this attack earlier this morning," he said. "It's all about resilience, I think. But we'll pick ourselves up and go after these people."

(Inter Press Service)


Sep 11, 2004



Islam, Indonesian style (Aug 15, '03)

Jakarta bombing exposes 'war on terror' flaws
(Aug 7, '03)

Indonesia: The enemy within
(Oct 15, '02)

 

         
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong